My transition to a Sony Ecosystem is complete. Very hard to let go of Canon. I just think that upgrading to a Full Frame system is cheaper on the Sony side specially with the A7iii. Since I specialise in Events and Product Photography the Dynamic Range of Sony RAW file is wickedly remarkable in combination of the A7iii low light capability. I mean there's no doubt that the Canon 6D Mark II is a good camera but coming from a 7D Mark II which I think is the BEST and cheapest 'general' camera (Crop-Sensor) buying a 6D Mark II to get that Full Frame feature is like a Catch 22.
Also glad that I did not even wait for the EOS R. With a retail price of Ph 125K ($2,300), body only and with a new mount it doesn't make sense to have a DSLR and a Mirrorless system within the same brand with two different mount. But if anyone have money to burn then it's a moot point.
So far this is what I have:
Two Sony A7iii: For EVENTs having 2 bodies is convenient. This way I’ll have a zoom lens of 28-70mm range and a prime with the other camera for artsy shots. Also, you always need a back-up camera you’ll never know...
• Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f2.8 – General-Travel / Casual Portrait
• Sony FE 50mm f1.8 – Portrait / Travel
• Sony FE 85mm f1.8 – Portrait / Events
• Sony FE 28-70 f3.5-5.6 OS (Kit Lens) – Secondary for Product shots
• Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di III RXD – Almost everything / Events
• Sony Vario-Tessar FE 16-35mm f4 OSS – Next purchase, need a wide focal length.
I’m staying away from the SIGMA ART lenses because they’re just too heavy. And I wanted to have a lighter system. As for Sony GM trinity lenses, no way I’ll be able to afford them At Ph 100K ($2000 +) each. I know that a lot of photographers would swear that glass is more important than the camera body but at these prices I’m sure a client wouldn’t mind as long as they will not be charged an Arm and leg to recoup ROI. Beside It’s not like I have a high-profile client.
Sony on-cam flash:
• Sony HLV F60RM
• Sony HLV F45RM
I know Godox are a good 3rd party option for a Flash, I have two TT350s. But using a native flash for events is the best options to get that ‘Kodak moments.’ Also you need that AF-assist lights for some Events low-light situation. The Godox 860 II AF Assist lights seems to be NOT working with the A7iii. So Sony Flash it is.
For Studio lights:
• I have 3 Godox AD200 + X1 Transceiver. These are good enough for almost everything that does not require High-end Fashion output. Perfect for small studio set-up, outdoor and carry-on set-up.
No looking back, goodbye Canon.